"Things that interfere with writing well: Earning a living, especially by teaching."

-William H. Gass

Monday, January 14, 2008

Languages II


My separateness becomes obvious, noisy

sends my face seeking

asylum in armpits or elbow crooks

eyelids pressed right up against that infinite

distance, fumbling the translation

of ever expanding languages

I’ve put my alphabet all over this new skin

but we’re illiterate in the dark, here

fingers blinking like cursors

between my shoulder blades

they speak in code to freckled galaxies

under the warm soup of night noises:

heat pipes, traffic two blocks down, a radio

turned really low

This stillness doesn’t calm me, I want

to claw through the roof just for

an examination of all those dots,

patternless harborers of endless wishing

2 comments:

annie said...

actually, for your knowledge dear cousin, i started reading your blog after sara stopped posting on hers a full two weeks after she started it. surprise! i liked your musings on snowdays, then and now. let me just say, i'd take the massive amounts of snow over the ridonculous amounts of wind and rain we've been getting any time. fact. now if you'll excuse me, there are some mini mars bars that need devouring. ta.

dot eedeeyou said...

Listen, Houston, if you THINK for one SECOND that all this "I read your blog" talk that contains a bit of sara-mocking as well as praise for my writing is going to elicit some sort of forgetful mercy regarding a certain deficit in your wallet combined with a certain bar tab you have another...well...[much indignant huffing]...[pause]...well you are entirely correct.