"Things that interfere with writing well: Earning a living, especially by teaching."

-William H. Gass

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

run dnc

After suffering through the dull parade of people throwing their bodies around in the air for little trinkets and the chance to hear their national anthem one more god damned time, we finally got to the best show of the summer. Bill Clinton's teary-eyed "God I love her." Dennis Kucinich's insane arm-waving shouts to "wake up America." The apparent love child of Chris Farley and George W. Bush, Governor Schweitzer of Montana, delivering an SNL-worthy performance. Ted Kennedy passing the torch. The beloved crowds of protestors all over the city. There is no event I more enjoy watching on television...actually, I'll rephrase. There is nothing I more enjoy watching on television, event or otherwise, than the Democratic National Convention. Normally, if I am in front of the boob tube I can stand about five minutes, ten if it's a Seinfeld rerun, and I'm up out of the seat looking for something else to do. I find the thing terrifically boring. However, the giant blue circus that is the DNC held my attention for nearly seven hours straight yesterday.

It's basically the nerd's Kentucky Derby:




Thanks to CSPAN I got to watch the whole thing uninterrupted and without any of those pesky news channel morons blathering on about strategy, wardrobe choices, and who knows what else. So I got to the see the B-listers like Cecile Richards (my hero), the Congressional Black Caucus, the Women of the Senate, and my forever favorite B-lister Dennis Kucinich.

The B-listers are my favorites because with a lesser spotlight you get more personality, and they tend to really let it all hang out. Kucinich of course does this all the time, regardless of the position he's in, which is why I love him so much. But, sadly, the awesomeness ended there this year. Cecile Richards was what every Planned Parenthood executive is: poised, spotless, strong but careful. The Congressional Black Caucus didn't mention race. (In fact, nobody has mentioned race at all. They've mentioned gender about 67,000 times, though. Hillary's introductory montage was all about women's rights...Michelle Obama's speech commemorated women's suffrage (she did mention it, remember, right in the middle of her suzie homemaker speech that everyone but me seemed to love.))
This brings me to the women of the Senate. I am frickin' pissed off at you ladies!!!! The touchiest issue they brought up was equal pay for equal work. And they should bring it up, what with this 77 cents on the man's dollar bullshit. And they brought out the lady the Supreme Court told she was paid less and would just have to deal with it. Fine, fine, fine.

But where oh where, I ask you, was the discussion about reproductive rights?! Remember those, the ones that are in grave danger as we speak? They just left it all to Cecile Richards. Women of the Senate, shame on you all.

So in case you happen to be speaking at the dnc tonight, let me break it down for you.

Stuff you CAN talk about:
The Economy
Energy
The War
Equal Pay for Equal Work
Health Care

Stuff you CAN'T talk about:
Race
Reproductive rights

So don't fuck it up, because we wouldn't want anyone getting uncomfortable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo-you want them to bring up a bunch of stuff that will take away votes and make the dems loose? Get this: They need to win, and to do that they need to stay on message and not muddy the waters. That is why some issues stay in the background. Everyone knows reproductive rights are a key party platform for the democrats-why put it in peoples face who may not agree but do agree on other things. They may just vote for that old guy running instead. Or would you rather they didn't vote for Obama because they disagree with your, and the majority of the democrats, stance on reproductive rights (among other things)? By my reasoning-we want as many votes as we can get whether they agree or not.

Its time to start thinking strategically and to start being tough, focused, and maybe a little mean-you know, like republicans do. That's one reason why they WIN. Or would you rather join LoseOn.org?

What the hell is wrong with Suzy homemaker? That is a choice and it is as good a one as others out there. In fact, it is a pretty empowering choice for women with educations and career options. It takes balls (figuratively).

LO

BTW: I think the convention is boring as hell. I know who I am going vote for and so do you. Why waste time watching that stroke fest?

Mith K said...

Anonymous my ass. You are literally big brother.

My responses:

1. I do not feel, nor have I ever felt, beholden to reality in any way on this blog. I want Barack Obama to shout, from the top of his lungs, "I promise to leave all decisions regarding feminine reproductive organs to their respective owners and I promise to make sure the courts do too." I would also like him to say, "Hi America, let's talk about race. Now. Let's just sit here and talk about it until it isn't taboo anymore and then maybe we'll get somewhere."

And this is my damned blog and I can want what I want and that's what I want. I also want him to win the election. If those two are mutually exclusive in "reality" well that's reality's problem.

2. Balls? Way to assume growing a male organ would strengthen a person's character. Psshh.

3. Sure some women, totally of their own volition, receive educations and create career opportunities and give that all up to raise children. I'm sure very few of them are responding to social pressure, or perhaps never had the chance to consider themselves worthy of pursuing those abandoned goals, goals their husbands probably got to pursue. Michelle Obama, however, is not one of those women. She has many ambitions in addition to her goal of being the perfect parent for her children. But she swept all of those aside in that speech to make herself more acceptable, less frightening....stepford-y, if you will. Eleanor Roosevelt would've barfed.

4. I watch the dnc for the same reason people watch baseball games. If you know who you want to win, why don't you just read the score in the paper the next day? Because the fun is in the game. Duh.

LK

Rev Sully said...

KELLY!!!

Hi.

I left Temple Bar a few weeks ago...^_~

Come to Channel OCHO!!! BEHOLD...my innermost thoughts!
you should check out my Blog if you got a chance to read my 9/11 yearly memorial and a story about my leaving Temple Bar that's tagged as "The Tao of Sully".
I tried to see if I can get your email from your profile but it's disabled...this is the only way I can talk to you!!! So if you'd like, you can email me through my profile at OCHO. Check it out. I miss the way you chime in...especially now. I'd love to hear your thoughts of the GOP Veep pick, et al.
I keep an eye on your Blog 'cuz you are awesome!!!
I hope all is well with you, dear K-E-L-L-Y...why?

'namaste,
Eric

Anonymous said...

Rev Sully!! No more TB? But who's gonna sing the Hollandaise song?! Who's gonna sing contemporary pop songs ala patrick stewart?! Who's gonna drink all the guiness??

Sigh.

I just stopped by Channel Ocho. I admit it; I don't know what you're talking about on the Batman front. What do you mean he's done for? BUT the most recent post, with a little help from Willie Nelson, was a sweet read for an early morning. Keep it up. I have YOUR email I can't imagine why you don't have mine. I'll email ya!