"Things that interfere with writing well: Earning a living, especially by teaching."

-William H. Gass

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"what do you mean 'we?'"

Well it finally happened. It was the weirdest thing. I knew, eventually, this would happen. I spent a lot of time thinking about how I would react, how I would deal with it, whether it should be the type of thing one "reacted" to. But how could I not?

For the past two years, I have been the only white person in my classroom (except during staff meetings). We talk about race all the time in my class. And I've taken quite a few light-hearted jokes directed at white people, which thus far have been part of a healthy conversation. I have been very careful in my pursuit of a space in which talking about race is safe, appropriate, and expected. I never purport to know what I'm doing in this regard, and my students are always very helpful when it comes to telling me what to do.

This month, I welcomed a new student into my class. He is

The. White. Kid.

in the inner city alternative school.

And all the shit I was afraid to deal with has already started to happen. Case in point:

We're studying the American Revolution. One of my personal favorite things to teach. It is a sensitive subject, what with the tendency of old lame-ass text books to glorify the brave colonists and paint them as champions of liberty who fought for their freedom and secured us all a Great American Future. Fortunately, my school can't afford text books so it's up to me to put together my own photocopied collections of readings.

All this being beyond the point. The point is, we were having a conversation, as a class, regarding why the English, rather than the Spanish or the French, ended up putting the "winning" group of colonizers on North America. This usually sparks a conversation regarding why it is ANY European colonizing bastard felt he had the right to be there in the first place.

But here's what happened. The new kid says, "We had more independence from our crown in the first place, so it was easier for us to break away and really make the new colony our own."

And I, without thinking, engage this conversation, the entire time using the pronoun "we."

And after three minutes of engaging this kid in conversation I look around, and I had lost everyone else. So I try to back up.

"Let me just check in here, what do WE mean when we say 'we?'"

And one kid pipes up and says, rather pointedly, "Yeah, what DO you mean we?"

What did I mean? Am I the teacher I read about in all those articles in grad school? The one who, regardless of all her efforts, engaged the student of her own race in conversation more readily than those of a different race? The one who used words carelessly without considering the points of view of all her students?

All of this, of course, calls into question all the work I've done so far. Did I really create a safe space for tough conversations...or did I create a precariously safe space that's easily thrown by a change in group dynamics?

Jeez. Teaching is hard. They should pay us more. Goodnight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on-Geez. trying to make everything for everyone just comes out as condescending. Teach the facts. Everyone in your class is American regardless of their race, class, religion, etc. It is American history good and bad. Failing to teach the facts and discuss things will only succeed at dumbing down and alienating your charges. It is history they need to know even if they did not take part or were not here then. Truth be told, "we" is never accurate when discussing history unless you were actually alive during said events. It sounds as though you don't want to really get into the why's because it is not relevant to most of your students lives/races. That is racist. That is what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would do. That is not what Obama would do.

Anonymous said...

Who is this "they" that should pay more? Where does the money come from?

Rev Sully said...

Anon!!! I am your biggest fan! I love your quotes most!!!

Ahhh...I'm a White Guy. Actually I'm not a "whiteman"...I'm a Scorpion Dreaming but that's too Grant Morrison for the Class. RTFM. But I work with Black people. And Spanish people.

Sensitivity & Tolerance Begins with Lexicon. Personal Usage, Professional Usage, and Social Usage.

Intent lies in the usage. You need to wield language in an appropriate fashion. The smarter one is the more sensitive they will be n how they wield the power of their lexicon. A teacher needs to keep kids at this crucial & distracted age "tuned in". Kelly's Lexicon is her Weapon of Mass Education...she has every right to keep its edge honed.

'namaste...
Rev. Sully

Eric O'Sullivan
Boston, MA